I love salad. I think that a really good salad, with a combination of interesting flavours and textures, dressed really well, can make one of the best meals around. Roast broccoli with buttery pine nuts and melt in your mouth parmesan shavings; juicy sweet pear with toasted walnuts (although I prefer pecans) and crumbly stilton or gooey gorgonzola; Cobb salad, the delights of which I’ve only discovered in the past few years. The list goes on. Who could get bored?
This Puy lentil and sun dried tomato salad is a fantastic combination of flavours, colours and textures and is something I like to take to work for lunch. It is also great as part of a picnic or served alongside pan fried fish or chicken.
I like to use Merchant Gourmet Puy lentils. They are cooked to perfection and taste great. However, if you can’t get Puy lentils then don’t worry. You can also made this salad with tinned green lentils, they make a perfect substitute.
Puy Lentil and Sundried Tomato Salad
This gorgeous lentil salad is packed with colour, flavour and texture. Perfect served alone as a light lunch, as part of a picnic, or served alongside pan fried fish or chicken.
For the salad
- 250 g pre-cooked Puy lentils
- 10 sundried tomatoes finely diced
- 1 red, orange or yellow pepper finely diced
- 1 large spring onion finely sliced
- 1 small handful parsley finely chopped
- 2 rounded tablespoons olives finely diced*
- 1 tablespoon capers
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place all the salad ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- Pour the dressing ingredients over and toss thoroughly.
*I like green olives in garlic and herbs, sold in little pouches