Introducing my gorgeous chicken fajita salad with avocado lime dressing.
I don’t know about you but for me, at the moment, it is definitely salad weather. The thought of a hot meal is not appealing at all. But I’m not complaining! If I were to choose just one type of food to eat for the rest of my life it would be salad. That’s because you can pack salad full of pretty much any flavour and add pretty much anything to it. The possibilities are endless. This salad has all the flavours of your favourite chicken fajita and is perfect for the long hot summer days we are getting right now.
And at the moment this salad is one of my favourites. The chicken is juicy and delicious and the peppers are cooked perfectly – still with bite but with some char on the outside.
But I have to tell you that it’s the dressing that does it for me. This is absolutely my favourite dressing ever. Garlicky, with a hint of spice and amazingly creamy, I can eat it with pretty much anything. The other night we dipped the baked sweet potato chunks in it that I make in my baked chicken bowl recipe – an experience that will definitely be repeated before long.
And the best thing is that this dressing is actually good for you. Packed with healthy fats, antioxidants and a whole host of vitamins and minerals it must be one of the most nutritious salad dressings around!
So if you’re after a lighter version of your regular chicken fajita, why not give this a go!
Chicken Fajita Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing
For the marinade/dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed*)
- 50 ml lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar**
- ½ teaspoon cumin**
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne**
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 large handful spinach leaves
For the salad
- 6 chicken thighs (skinless and boneless cut into strips.)
- 3 peppers
- 1 large lettuce (romaine or cos work very well but use other varieties if you find these too bitter)
- ½ red onion (finely sliced*)
- 1 lime (quartered)
- 1 handful coriander
- 1 avocado (sliced*)
For the marinade
- Place all the marinade/dressing ingredients except the avocado and spinach into a blender and whizz until well combined. Pour ⅓ of the marinade over the chicken and place in the fridge to marinate for up to two hours.
For the dressing
- Add the avocado, spinach and a dash of water to the remaining marinade. Whizz, adding more water as necessary until the dressing is smooth, creamy and just pourable. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate.
- Cut the lettuce into chunks and place on a large serving plate.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the chicken and its marinade and cook, turning often, until the chicken is very nearly cooked through (12-15 minutes). Add the pepper to the pan. Toss, and cook for a further 3-5 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the pepper is beginning to char.
- Place the peppers and chicken on top of the salad leaves.
- Top with any optional garnishes you wish.
- Drizzle over some of the dressing, and serve with the remaining dressing on the side.