Christmas movie season is well and truly here. To be honest, in our house it arrives any time from early November. For weeks we’ve been watching Kris Kringle convert Susan into a believer, Charles Dickens has once more helped me review my character and Macaulay Culkin has been left home alone yet again. And no movie night is complete without a bowl of my Christmas cookie popcorn. I’ve been making this almost by the ton this year. My youngest’s friends even order it in advance of coming round.
The chocolate drops are a good addition but feel free to substitute them with something else – chocolate M and Ms are a favourite in my house, or leave them out altogether and let the popcorn speak for itself.
Christmas Cookie Popcorn
- 2 bags (200g) of ready popped, sweetened popcorn (I used Butterkist)
- 60 g (½ stick) butter
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Tip the popcorn into a really large bowl or divide between two smaller ones.
- Place the butter in a small pan and melt over a low heat.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the melted butter and simmer gently for a few seconds.
- Drizzle the flavoured butter over the popcorn, toss with a couple of large spoons and serve immediately.