My Easy Lasagne with a Cheat’s Bechamel is guaranteed to fly off plates. It’s easy to make because I use my Quick and Easy Bolognese Sauce and a bechamel that tastes gorgeous but is ready in just a couple of minutes. If you are gluten free, simply substitute the lasagne sheets for thinly sliced aubergine.
In our house, lasagne is one of those meals that always disappears without a trace. You can guarantee that there will be absolutely none left over – not one tiny bit! Ok, so it takes a little bit more work than just serving the meat sauce over pasta, but the addition of the white sauce and mozzarella and that time in the oven seems to work like magic. What comes out is always so much more meltingly gorgeous than you could imagine as you put it in.
To make this easier to get on the table, I like to cook a double batch of my Bolognese sauce when making my Best Quick and Easy Bolognese Sauce. I then serve one batch over pasta as it is and freeze the rest so that I can come back to it over the next couple of weeks to make this lasagne. This means you can have a gorgeous dish of bubbling lasagne on the table much more rapidly than you normally would.
So, to make this I firstly defrost and heat my Bolognaise sauce.
Once that’s heating nicely I get going with the white sauce. To do this you simply pour the milk into the pan, add the nutmeg, pepper and salt and heat gently. Once you have mixed the corn flour with a little water, add it to the milk then stir constantly (you can turn the heat up to medium if you wish).
When the sauce has thickened, and your Bolognese is hot, you are ready to assemble the lasagne. Then you simply pop it in the oven and wait for the magic to happen.
Whatever the season, I like to serve this with some salad leaves on the side. Or, even better, my French Carrot Salad or my Easy Summer Coleslaw. And if I have time I also make a batch or two of my gorgeous Dough Balls served with garlic butter. They’re one of my earlier recipes so the pictures could do with being updated but they are truly gorgeous and disappear as fast as the lasagne itself.
Other pasta dishes you might like to try:
- Linguine with Smoked Bacon, Sundried Tomatoes and Spinach (easy to make meat free)
- Baked Tagliatelle with Smoked Salmon and Gruyere
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Easy Lasagne with a Cheat’s White Sauce
- 1 batch of my Bolognaise Sauce
- 400 ml milk
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 9 lasagne sheets or 2 medium sized aubergines thinly sliced (about 2mm thick*)
- 1 ball mozzarella
- Firstly make, or defrost and heat, the bolognaise sauce.
- When the bolognaise sauce is ready, leave it blipping away over a very low heat, stirring occasionally as necessary.
To make the white sauce
- Place the milk, nutmeg, black pepper and salt into a medium sized pan. Place over a medium heat. Mix the corn flour with the same amount of water and add to the milk mixture. Stir constantly until you have a creamy sauce.
To assemble the lasagne
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375F).
- Spoon one third of the bolognaise sauce into a large, rectangular baking dish then spoon over quarter of the white sauce. Cover with three of the lasagne sheets or aubergine slices. Repeat the process twice then cover the last layer of lasagne sheets/aubergine with the remaining white sauce.
- Drain the mozzarella, tear into small pieces and distribute over the white sauce.
- Place into the pre-heated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the lasagne is brown and bubbling and the pasta/aubergine is soft.