I love spring. It is definitely my favourite season. The daffs bloom, the days get longer and the weather gets warmer. And with it all comes a whole host of new foods to be eaten. Ok, we may not be able to say a permanent goodbye to steaming bowls of soup and simmering casseroles yet, but we can definitely begin to get excited about warmer weather food and this hot-smoked salmon and prawn terrine is perfect for this time of year.
I was wandering around Sainsbury’s a few weeks ago (I usually do an on-line shop but occasionally I like to pop in to the shops to remind myself what is actually on the shelves) when some hot-smoked salmon caught my eye. Along with some prawns and a few other staples I knew I could come up with something good.
This is my kind of food. Simple to make, good for you and packed with flavour. The best bit about this terrine is that you don’t need any special gadgets. A sharp knife and chopping board is about as fancy as it gets. To be fair, this isn’t a true terrine as it hasn’t been set in a container then served in slices, but that’s the closest thing I could liken it to. And does it really matter when it tastes this good?
Since I first made this we’ve eaten it as a starter at a friend’s birthday dinner and for lunch at home, both times on toast, although it would be just as good stuffed into a sandwich and eaten on the beach (I might be being a little optimistic but we can dream). And if you want a carb free option, why not serve it alongside some baby salad leaves and a tomato and onion salad?
Hot-Smoked Salmon and Prawn Terrine
- 150 g hot smoked salmon
- 150 g prawns
- ½ a spring onion (scallion) (very finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped capers or cornichon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Flake the hot smoked salmon into small pieces. Chop the prawns until medium coarse. Place into a medium sized bowl.
- Add the spring onion, crème fraiche, dill, capers or cornichon and lemon juice. Stir well and season to taste.
- Chill until ready to serve.
This Recipe has been shared with