Sweet, soft and amazingly orangey orange almond cake. You’ll be doing well to stick to just one slice of this!
I’m a massive fan of citrusy cakes. My lime and coconut cake with coconut icing is one of my favourites. However, I’m avoiding wheat at the moment. This was a bit of an issue last weekend as I wanted to make a gorgeous cake to have after our Father’s Day steak. Thankfully I had an enormous bag of ground almonds in so decided to use these as my cake base.
People have been using almonds in their baking for centuries and it makes total sense. Even though this delicious bake is wheat free, it is up there with some of my favourite cakes. Full of gorgeous zesty orange flavour and the polar opposite of dry, this is a cake that everybody will love. Whether they are avoiding wheat or not.
I use a springform cake tin to bake this cake. The batter is very runny so I always place the tin on a baking sheet just in case. I once had a very small amount of batter leak out but that’s as bad as it gets, and a springform tin makes the removal of the finished cake so much easier.
This orange almond cake does come with a warning though. It is so quick and easy to throw together, and so gorgeous, that you could easily end up mixing one up a bit too often.
Once you have zested and pureed the oranges you just beat the eggs with the sugar and flavourings, stir in the whizzed up oranges and ground almonds, pour the mixture into the tin then whack it in the oven. 40 minutes later your kitchen smells amazing and you are taking your first slice, even though the cake is still steaming. See the problem?
Orange Almond Cake
- 2 medium oranges
- 6 eggs
- 250 g (1¼ cups) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 250 g (2 cups) ground almonds (almond meal/flour)
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2/3 teaspoon cream of tartar*
- 2 handfuls of flaked almonds
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease and line a 20cm, deep-sided cake tin.
- Zest the oranges into a large bowl.
- Peel the oranges, and place the flesh into a blender** (discarding the pips and pith). Blend until you have a smooth consistency.
- Add the eggs, sugar and vanilla to the orange zest and whisk until the sugar has dissolved into the egg mixture. Add the orange pulp and whisk again.
- Add the ground almonds, pinch of salt and raising agents and mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 40–50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. The cake should be golden on top.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve.