An amazing roasted tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes with a hint of garlic and the right balance of sweet and tart.
Can I use any tomatoes for this?
I like to use baby tomatoes for this, but large tomatoes will also do. Just cut them into wedges and roast until the edges begin to char. This sauce is best made with lovely, red, summer tomatoes but I’ve made it in the winter and it’s still gorgeous.
Should I peel the garlic?
Lots of recipes call for unpeeled garlic cloves when they are being roasted whole. I get round this by tucking the garlic cloves under a piece of onion after about 20 minutes. I’ve never had a burnt garlic clove yet.
What else can I serve this tomato sauce with?
One of the things I love about this sauce is that it is so versatile. It’s great served over pasta. If you’ve seen my Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta you’ll know that I’m a fan of quick but really healthy roast veg pasta sauces. I also love it alongside a piece of fish, with some green beans on the side, over meatballs or as the sauce on a pizza. It’s a great option for anywhere you would usually use a tomato sauce and a great way to use gorgeous fresh tomatoes.
Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 500 g cherry/grape/baby plum tomatoes
- 1 onion (peeled and quartered)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- A pinch of sugar (optional)
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the tomatoes, onion and peeled garlic cloves in an oven proof dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the veg begin to char at the edges. Keep an eye on the garlic. If it looks like it’s beginning to brown, cover it with some of the other veg.
- Place the cooked vegetables, any liquid from the oven dish and the remaining ingredients into your food processor. Whizz until blended to your desired consistency.
- Serve as you wish.
grape tomatoes are perfect for this sauce tried it and loved it
tomato always enhances the dish taste and the toasted ones add more kick to the recipe
thanks for the amazing recipe
“It Was Good Article Thanks . Looking for Best Restaurants in Los Angeles & Culiver City Click to find best restaurants in Los Angeles Order online get amazing deals from Vegan Curry.
Healthy Eats in Los Angeles | South Bay Eater
South Bay Restaurants | South Bay Eater
Best Restaurants in Southbay | South Bay Eater
Best Bars in Southbay | South Bay Eater
“Article Was Good Thanks for Sharing. Looking for Best Restaurants in Los Angeles & Culiver City Click to find best restaurants in Los Angeles Order online get amazing deals from Vegan Curry.
Vegan Food in Los Angeles | Vegan Curry
Best Vegan Indian Restaurant in Los Angeles | Vegan Curry
Vegan Food in Los Angeles, Culver City | Vegan Curry
Catering in Culver City| Vegan Curry
Mate Mate UK
Roasted tomato sauce would be a great addition to dinner. Thanks for the recipe!