These spicy roast almonds and pecans are a great nibble to have around over Christmas. An update on the nuts and dried fruit that were always to be found out on the coffee table from the 24th onwards when I was a child. There was something about being asked if I wanted to help get this Christmas tradition ready. Dad would open all the tins and packets and I would arrange the fruit and nuts in little piles next to each other popping a piece of crystallised ginger in my mouth if I thought I could get away with it. This simple action heralded the start of Christmas proper in my mind. All the jobs were done, it was time for the fun to start.
Roasting these nuts really improves both the flavour and texture of them, and the spices take things to the next level. Great as a nibble with a glass of something or as part of a buffet. My only warning is that once you start munching on these it’s hard to stop.
Spicy Roast Almonds and Pecans
- 70 g (½ cup) almonds
- 70 g (½ cup) pecans
- 10 g (2 tsp) butter
- ¾ teaspoon light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place the nuts in an oven dish and roast at 170°C for 10 minutes.
- While the nuts are roasting measure out the remaining ingredients into a small bowl.
- After 10 minutes remove the nuts from the oven, add the butter and the spices, and give everything a good mix so that the butter melts and the nuts are coated in the buttery spice mixture.
- Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes then tip onto baking parchment or a clean plate to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
There’s nothing that gets me in the holiday mood like a good batch of roasted nuts! I can smell these already- cannot wait to try!
🙂 Hope you like them x